Monday, March 28, 2011

Art that can't be bought...the borderline area

I felt I should say a few words as an additive to mine and Hye's "empty room of free commerce" which Katerie told us she "couldn't quite buy" and in brief introspection of the piece I thought... that the comment was actually very suitable in regards to Bourriaud's thoughts on contemporary work which quite literally can not be bought. For the relational practice is about truly living it and creating a space to CREATE inter human commerce that is not imposed...that is not bought.. that is free...that requires another form of exchange.. that is "social interstice"...quite defined.

The chance happening of the chalk event starting quite abruptly with little direction actually gave way to a serendipitous moment of un-authoritative or at least less authoritative social occurrence.. where as pre-thought there were no questions already written for our participants to answer ex.(Are you forming relationships through your art practice or are you forming singularity? Are you learning to inhabit the world in a better way? Is Art a game? Is life a game? Is Art Social?) however just chalk given and asked to write... The questions would have imposed authority which contradicts a space where participants are asked to generate their own voice/idea/form (via chalk) allowing for a personal moment of generation to occur amidst 12 others... allowing the space in which they intersect/overlap/merge to be done with peace and color.

"Each particular artwork is a proposal to live in a shared world, and the work of every artist is a bundle of relations with the world, giving rise to other relations, and so on and so forth, ad infinitum." - Bourriaud

This was our very simple, brief proposal. However as he later states, "We are in the presence of a prosecutor's aesthetics here."

....Okay so this is symbolic and perhaps a bit windy however what are the blogs here for if not that :)

1 comment:

  1. What are we here for if not to be a bit windy? haha. I think that a great use of the blog would be to let our ideas stew a little after a feedback session. There is so much protocol about not appearing too defensive, so you can't defend, so much interest in hearing other voices, which might sometimes dilute our own, and so much investment in chivalry so that it is not possible for everything to be said. I also think that thinking about a project for 30 minutes might not lead us to the best of possible advice.

    The project was quite directionless as far as the content is concerned-- so as an exercise to process Relational Aesthetics I think that it failed.

    However, as an example of what can be accomplished via an open container, a directionless urging, a lot of interesting ideas can emerge. If you don't tell us what you want and we only share what we want, then that is an opportunity for an open economy. I especially enjoy the abandoned house in relation to thinking about the idea of creating a social economy, or finding autonomy in a shared experience. (However, that house is kind of a lie, isn't it? I mean in the sense that UF is expanding into neighborhoods that were once beyond its white-walled reach. I have a lot of questions about that WARPhaus, and they all center around 'gentrification'.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.