Sunday, January 31, 2016

Reaction to Babette's Feast

I enjoyed Babette's Feast more than I thought I would. I watched the trailer before seeing it and wasn't fully intrigued by it. However, once I started watching it, I really enjoyed the scenery and the story behind the two sisters in this small religious community. The way in which all those who resided in the Danish town were so sheltered made me feel somewhat sympathetic towards them. Because I couldn't relate to their experience I got the sense they were missing out on so many experiences they could be having outside of their community. The sisters, Martine and Phillipa, did get a taste of the outside world by the men who became interested in their beauty. They rejected the men because of their strict upbringing and never married. Once the sisters were older,  Babette came from Paris to be their cook. This is where things got interesting and we begin to see how mundane their eating habits are. The bread and ale soup they taught Babette to cook look so unappetizing to me. I would never eat something like that and I'm pretty open to different foods. Mixing those two ingredients are not ones I'm used to.

Eventually Babette cooks a feast for the sisters because she wins the lottery in France. I noticed that this is the first time in the film where we see richness in color. All the food that gets shipped over adds life to the setting of the kitchen. There's intrigue by the community of what Babette will make but fear as well. I thought it was quite funny to see the sisters speak to the elders of the community and tell them that Babette was cooking a witch's brew and they must not speak about if when it came time to have dinner. This was pretty revealing as to how sheltered they were through their religion and anything that went against it was sinful. Indulging and enjoying food is something most of us do daily and to see it be frowned upon in the film was surprising. I absolutely loved watching Babette care so much about every course she made and how the young boy helping was intrigued by it. The taste of the beer, wine and champagne made me want to drink it as well. Even though I am vegetarian and have been for 5 years now, looking at the turtle soup and quail being prepared made me want to try it. I have my own convictions as to why I don't eat meat and although I did sympathize with the animals, the end result was enticing.

I especially liked how much the elders and sisters tried to resist in commenting on the food. They were sharing stories of old times to try to prevent themselves. When the liquor started taking effect I loved the way they were being honest with themselves about things they had done to one another and actually responded to their feelings of the food. I could relate to this gathering because I really enjoy watching people enjoy what I cook. Whether I make baked goods or a full meal, the sense of satisfaction I get when people tell me they enjoyed my meal is wonderful. Babette felt the same way with her ability to make people happy through her cooking. I knew that she would end up being the famous chef from Paris that the general spoke about at the dinner. I think it's special when someone has the ability to satisfy a belly with their cooking. After I watched the film I cooked a curry lentil soup accompanied with some red wine. Babette inspired me to make a meal rich in spices and tastes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.