If there ever was: an exhibition of extinct and impossible scents is the book that we were to go to the art library and get a whiff of... smells I had never smelled before! Some made me think of olden days that had very different smells than today, lost smells, replaced smells, or rather irreplaceable smells. Just like in very old photos, I think that the old days were in black and white, the same goes with the smells, the old days smelled old even when it when it was then. (hard to put that in language)
There were days when the smell of Clorox never existed, no Lysol cleaners, just cow manure and horse shit, and rotting clothes hanging in the sun. Back in the day when everything smelled like mildew.
The above mentioned book is impossible to find anymore, but I did find this PDF of it without the sniff parts, disappointing I know. It would be great to have the internet include nose feasts along with the eye and ear feasts... or would it??? It's a very interesting read, maybe even inspiring for thinking about art and the smell, or the smell of art, or smell and the art of motorcycle maintenance.
-Mitzi
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.