This film went to great lengths to connect the viewer with the source of zir food. I have seen a couple of other movies of this genre before. Here again I was horrified by meat processing and meat factories. I still have mixed feelings about how to view genetically modified foods-- on one hand this leads to a great homogenization of what we eat (corn in particular as the movie points out) and on the other it allows for some stronger, healthier, more preservalbe, and greater proliferation of crops.
On a personal, political, and theoretical level I was particularly interested in the simulacra of the grocery store. The claim of course was that the packaging of foods presents us with the image of a farm or other expected source, hiding its actual origins which are less desirable. The multicolor and truly spectacular and lively design and organization presents us with an illusion of great diversity. In actuality the film argues that many a great variety of foods come from the same source in different disguises. I have to wonder how my diet differs from that of my great grandfather's. I would like to understand our health and eating habits in objective ways.
"it allows for some stronger, healthier, more preservalbe, and greater proliferation of crops" yet tastless and devoid of any scientific proof that it's even good for us. I'm wondering how you might be affected by the plant processing or plant factories - a different kind of butchering. Did you know that the U.S. is in the minority of maybe 3 countries that don't label products that use genetically altered ingredients? That's because the marketing knows for absolute sure we wouldn't buy it. Or would you? Marketing = manipulation and control.
ReplyDelete