Monday, January 24, 2011

Rose: Work: Feedback please!







5 comments:

  1. This is a series where I mix photos of torture with food recipes from cook books. I wanted to call this series Recipes for Disaster, or disCOMFORT FOOD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rose! As always your work is very shocking and unsettling, effectively so, and this is no exception. I know you were using appropriated images of violence and fashion in previous projects, and this series speaks to to consumerism in a much different, and perhaps more literal, manner (as the food displayed is meant to be consumed.) Certain parts of the text really stood out to me, too, including "whip until smooth" in the second piece and the torn dough/"beautiful meat." To read those phrases and think not of the recipe but of torture is incredibly unsettling as it puts me as a viewer in the mind of the torturer, and makes me think of the act of looking at these images as an act of violence. The text in the first piece didn't resonate so much with me, however, just because it lacked that visceral language I found in the others. But awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elena for your critique, it was very helpful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing that came to mind was the way that the two textures (skins) of the food and the tortured bodies are very similar--i.e. the dotted ice cream with the red bruises on the anonymous man's body. I can see that this was a very conscious choice in order to make visual connections between two subjects unlikely seen together.

    As mentioned by Elena, after careful scrutiny I did notice the play on certain words, and their connection to both cooking and torture.

    Something that I find somewhat distracting is the element of humor that arises out of bringing these two subjects together. (or maybe I just have a sick sense of humor). It disturbs me not really in a visual way, but more so in thinking about these being "recipes" on how to torture someone. I find this "discomforting" indeed because I feel removed and unsympathetic from the victim, when the promise of a sweet outcome is so present.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your work is very interesting to compare food and human tortured bodies visually and conceptually. Human body can be a medium to do other activities. Cooking can be violent activities in the perspective of food. I would like to suggest to emerge two concept and images together. maybe tortured bodies images with recipe can be enough to present your ideas. Can you make everything mixed together to not clear to distinguish? You have a great idea, and I would like to see more development!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.